Tuesday, September 12, 2006

think again...


I'm online and an elder of mine linked me to this article. It began as the reporter's telling of his research about the enfatuation that black men in particular, have about Brazilian women, and particularly these sex trips that are taken down there in Rio.

Being a black man myself, I am familiar with the Brazilian trips by word of mouth. I must say in my youthful years, and even up to now, I viewed these trips as existing in a sort of sexual Utopia, where people could just go there, have tons of sex with no strings attached, without fear of disease, commitment breaking, or objectification. I mean its paradise right? Wrong...

While my views on sexuality have changed over the years, and I have long since given up the fantasy of having a trip of my own; I have to be honest, upon reading the article, I still had this Utopic view of these trips.

I even started reading the article with a tinge of envy, and then that feeling turned into utter and dispicable disgust upon the reading of this:

Besides, I just saw a group of 10-to-12-year-old girls on the strip. They’re glue addicts. They have sex with tourists. They don’t require condoms. There’s real poverty here, and shit ain’t always pretty.

I watched my little Utopic view of Brazil come tumbling down. Immediately I had to change the way I viewed these sorts of "free-open sex" trips. While I am not against sex like that in a vaccuum, I am against the explotation and objectification of these people. But if I was really that offended by it, then the sex trips should have offended me at the first onset of my reading... Therein lies my contradiction.

And I also have to admit to myself that this sort of ignorance adds to the thing that really made me disgusted in reading the article: the abuse of children.

...thinking again.

another article


5 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting...

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...news alert. you aren't that old

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my bad...*news flash*

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Nifty said...

liked that... I read a book about a Brazilian Prostitute in Europe.. it was a good book but very sad (can't remember the name right now)

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger moks said...

elder of urs, ay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home